Multimeter (DMM) selection table
DMM information and reviews
- Image, small image of meter, mouse over to get a big image of the front, click for review.
- DMM name, brand and model name, mouse over to get a summary of ranges and functions, click for review.
- Display, maximum reading on the display in volt, ohm and current modes, other modes may have a larger reading.
- uA, ranges for micro amperes, a range below 10mA is counted as a uA range (Most DMM classify them as such).
- mA, ranges for 10's and 100's of mA
- A, meter can show amperes. Usual a 10A range, and sometimes a range for a few A.
- Temperature, meter can show temperature, this will often be with a type K thermocoupler.
- Frequency, meter can show frequency, this will often mean it also supports duty cycle.
- True RMS, meter can show true RMS, this is very useful when measuring current on mains.
- Average, meter can show an average value, usual this is combined with min/max function.
- Led test, meter can test white leds and show the forward voltage. This means it can show 3V in diode test mode.
- Interface, what type of communication with computers/phones is supported.
- Safety, a very rought evaluation of safety.
- No safety, there is no fuses, missing PTC, no or very low maximum voltage rating on ohm/capacity ranges. This is only for low voltage and low current usage.
- Glass or small fuse, a PTC, maximum voltage rating on ohm/capacity ranges. This can be used on mains voltage occasionally as long as there is a good fuse (Below 16A) before.
- Ceramic fuses rated for marked voltage, PTC's and MOV or GDT, input are rated for at least 250VAC on ohm/capacity ranges. These meters will usual be fine for mains voltage, but may not be good enough for measuring on high current circuits (i.e. Industrial/distribution).
- For high energy usage (Industrial/distribution), be sure to check the CAT rating and verify it is valid.
- Notes, this is notes about special functions in the meter or if it is extra good in some area.
- Price, it is the price without VAT or shipping at the time when I get the meter, this may be from EBAY, but can also be from other dealers.
- Below $15
- Below $30
- Below $70
- Below $150
- Above $150
- Year, the year I published the review, this may be several years after the meter was introduced on the market.
Read more about my reviews here